Tuesday, January 3

She read The Hunger Games Trilogy

One of my New Year’s Resolutions for 2012 is to rekindle my love for books.  For much of 2011, I barely read any and I wanted that habit to not continue into this year.  I’m proud to say that I’ve already made progress with this resolution of mine.  I’ve managed to read The Hunger Games and Catching Fire; I finished reading both books in 2 days.  I’m still reading the final installment, Mockingjay and I’ll explain later why it’s taken me so long to finish.  I’ve known these books have been out for ages but I never really thought to read them because it wasn't really something that I would read.  It's only fairly recently that I thought about giving it a go.



If you aren't familiar with the books (which I highly doubt, considering the movie adaptation is one of the highly anticipated movies for 2012), here is a short description from Wikipedia:

The Hunger Games trilogy takes place in an unidentified future time period after the destruction of the current nations of North America, in a nation known as "Panem." Panem used to consist of a rich Capitol, located somewhere in the Rocky Mountains, and twelve (formerly thirteen until one is destroyed) surrounding, poorer districts which cater to the Capitol's needs. As punishment for a previous rebellion against the Capitol wherein the districts were defeated, every year one boy and one girl from each of the remaining twelve districts, between the ages of twelve and eighteen, are selected by lottery and forced to participate in the "Hunger Games." The Games are a televised event where the participants, called "tributes," must fight to the death in a dangerous outdoor arena until only one remains. The winning tribute and his/her corresponding district is then rewarded handsomely. It is required viewing for everyone in the districts.

After reading the first chapter of The Hunger Games, I was hooked.  I couldn't put it down because I had to know how it ends.  I have a habit of losing sleep over really good books and these two books were no exception.  Unfortunately, Mockingjay doesn’t have the same effect on me as the first two.  From the first chapter, I already knew that it wasn’t my kind of thing which, was a major letdown.  I’m still hoping that as I go on (I’m already on Chapter 10), it will grow on me.  

Overall, I’d say the books are a good read.  For those who think that the series is like the Twilight series, you’re definitely mistaken.  Unlike Bella, Katniss is strong, independent and can hold her own.  Yes, there are some cheesy parts and the inevitable love triangle, but the plot doesn’t solely revolve around that.  Yes, the book falls under the Young Adult genre but don't let that discourage you from reading it.  I'm sure adults can enjoy these books just the same.

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

{sabz}solutely Copyright © 2012 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template